As I have mentioned before, I am a graduate assistant for Dr. Kathleen Burriss. Part of my job involves subbing in or co-teaching an undergraduate class with Dr. B. This class is EESE 1011, and part of their semester involves engaging in literature circles. Funny thing is, I have been assigning these, assessing student performance, and encouraging them to participate all semester, and now I am in the student role of a literature circle. The thing that has stood out to me is that I have such a hard time getting the freshman involved, interested, and willing to participate and engage on a deeper level with the text and discussions. This has bothered me, but after engaging in one myself and reading an article last night, it hit me! I truly believe that we were asking them to engage in a literature circle far too soon. I easily participated in this activity, because I know 3/4 of the class on a personal level. They are my "school friends." On the other hand, the freshman know no one, and then they are asked to jump right into a literature circle and share their own thoughts, ideas, and opinions with merely strangers.
The article that we read, "How Children Learn," really touched on group work, creating a rapport between peers in the classroom, and encouraging discussion. I believe that if I would have taken the time to have open and free conversation with my freshmen about their interests, backgrounds, and other fun things, they would have been more open by the time a literature circle rolled around. If they would have been aquainted with each other and been able to make connections with their peers, I believe the literature circle conversations would have gone to a deeper and more meaningful place.
It is such a cool thing to be engaging in an experience I have asked my students to do, but I had not even done it myself! It makes me think that I would rather try things out, before asking my students to do it. How can I expect them to be truly engaged and involved in something, when I have not even been there myself?
What a great connection to community, Holly! Literature Circles can be such powerful tools and promote accountability among students. I hope when you intern or during your first year to repeat lit circles with your elementary students. It can blow your mind! :-)
ReplyDeleteSo true... We need to establish the atmosphere before diving into something that can become so personal. I feel the urge to "get to the point" but the process of getting there is where real learning occurs.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful realization, Holly! I completely ageee with you and Ali both! I think it is very important to create the classroom community and for students to become comfortable in sharing with one another before having them dive into reading and discussing their thoughts and ideas with one another! This is definitely something I plan to remember in the near future when I have my own classroom!
ReplyDelete